Who need one?
- Any foreign driving license holder who does not hold an international driving permit.
- Even if you have an international driving permit but your international driving license is issued by a NON-MEMBER state to Vienna Convention.
Who does not need one?
- A foreign driving license holder who already hold an international driving permit, issued by a MEMBER state of Vienna Convention.
Issuing authorities in Sri Lanka
How to apply via Department of Motor Traffic
- Only light vehicle license can be obtained under this system.
- The foreign driving license which is valid for the conversion date (Provisional driving licenses or learner permits are not accepted)
- If the applicant is a foreign national, the applicant having valid visa for more than 06 months period are eligible for applying a Sri Lankan driving license while other having a valid visa for less than six months will only be issued with a temporary driving license.
- If the Driving license and the passport are not in English, the English translations of those two documents, done by the relevant Embassy/Mission.
- Medical fitness certificate obtained from the National Transport Medical Institute, within a period of six months.
- The letter of acknowledgement from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in the event of a person in the foreign Diplomatic service.
- The passport with the National Identity Card Number on it, in the event of a Sri Lankan or a holder of dual citizenship.
How to apply via Automobile Association of Ceylon
- Produce your original driving license (in person or through us or any third party) to the AA Association with a color photo of passport size and a copy of your passport information.
- AA Association provides you with a three months valid driving permit.
- AA Association fee - 4,000, LKR per permit. (updated on 19 Jan 2020)
- Our administrative fee - 5,000 LKR per permit.
The art. 132B of Sri Lankan motor traffic act stipulates that "a person who is a bonfire visitor to Sri Lanka and who possesses a valid International Driving Permit issued by any of the Contracting States to, or the States or Territories that have acceded to the Vienna Convention of eighth November One Thousand Nine Hundred and Sixty Eight, shall be deemed to possess a driving licences issued under the provisions of this Act and to be authorised to drive the class or classes of vehicles specified in the driving permit:
Provided that— (a) the Permit is valid within the meaning of Article 41 (now 43) of the Vienna Convention of 1968; (b) the holder carries such permit while driving in Sri Lanka and produces it on demand by a police officer or Examiner of Motor Vehicles for inspection; and (c) the holder fulfills in all respects the conditions set out in Article 41 (now 43) of the Vienna Convention of 1968."
The article of 43 in Vienna Convention stipulates that "2. (a) Contracting Parties shall recognize: (ii) Any international permit conforming to the provisions of Annex 7 to this Convention, on condition that it is presented with the corresponding domestic driving permit, as valid for driving in their territories a vehicle coming within the categories covered by the permits, provided that the permits are still valid and that they were issued by another Contracting Party or subdivision thereof or by an association duly empowered thereto by such other Contracting Party or one of its subdivisions;"
Contact Sri Lanka Police headquarters
- Emergency : 119
- IG's help desk +94 11 2444480 / +94 11 2444483
- Police headquarters : +94 11 2421111
Vehicle Classes – Section 122 of Motor Traffic Act amended by Act no.08 of 2009
|Description||Vehicle Class||Other Class of Vehicles can be driven||Pictograph||Old Class|
|Light motor cycles of which Engine
Capacity does not exceeds 100CC
|Motorcycles of which Engine capacity exceeds 100CC||A||A1,G1||D|
|Motor Tricycle or van of which tare does not exceed 500kg and Gross vehicle weight does not exceed 1000 kg: Motor vehicle in this class include an invalid carriage||B1||G1||E,F|
|Dual purpose Motor vehicle of which Gross Vehicle Weight does not exceed 3500kg and the seating capacity does not exceed 9 seats inclusive of the driver’s seat, which may be combined with a trailer of which maximum authorized tare does not exceed 750kg: Motor vehicle in this class include and invalid carriage and all cars where the seating capacity does not exceed 9 seats inclusive of the Driver’s seat.||B||G1||C,C1|
|Light Motor Lorry – Motor Lorry of which Gross Vehicle Weight exceeds 3500 kg and does not exceed 17000kg: Motor vehicles in this class may be combined with a trailer having maximum authorized tare which does not exceed 750kg: Motor vehicles of this class include a motor ambulance and motor hearses.||C1||B,G1||B1|
|Motor Lorry of which Gross vehicle Weight is more than 1700kg; may be combine with a trailer having a maximum authorized tare which does not exceed 750kg||C||C1,B,J,G,G1||B|
|Heavy Motor Lorry; combination of motor lorry and trailer (s) including articulated vehicles and its trailer (s) of which maximum authorized tare of the trailer exceeds 750kg and gross vehicle weight exceeds 3500kg||CE||C,C1,B,B1,G,G1,J||B|
|Light Motor Coach- Motor vehicles used for the carriage of persons and having seating capacity of not less than 9 seats and not more than 33 seats inclusive of the driver’s seat; motor vehicle in this class may be combined with a trailer having a maximum authorized tare which does not exceed 750kg||D1||C1, B, B1, G, G1||A1|
|Motor Coach where the seating capacity does not exceed 33 seats inclusive of the driver’s seat; motor vehicles in this class may be combined with a trailer having a maximum authorized tare which does not exceed 750kg||D||D1, C, C1, B, B1, G, G1,J||A|
|Heavy Motor Coach – Combination of motor coach having a seating capacity of 33 seats inclusive of the driver’s seat and it’s trailer having maximum authorized tare exceeding 750kg or a combination of two motor coaches||DE||D, D1, C, C1, CE, B, B1, G, G1,J||_|
Read further - here.